Tonight’s SU Leader Elections were intense! So what did we learn..
- Two candidates from the Reunion Ticket were elected; Sean Fearon was elected SU President and Paul Loughran was elected VP Student Activities. Calvin Black was unable to attend on the night. Declan Frith received double the total votes on Calvin; Paul Loughran doubled those votes again on the first count.
- It was the highest turnout to date, with a total of 5,537 votes cast in total. A new incentive of 20p printing credits were added to every voters QOL account this year.
- Independent candidates received the highest number of votes, in comparison to the Reunion Ticket Campaign.
- This is the first year five candidates have been elected, a reduction from seven candidates last year. New position VP Student Activities will replace VP Campaign and Communications, VP Community and VP Clubs and Societies from the previous academic term.
- VP Welfare was the closest call, Jessica Elder was elected on the fourth vote count, with 2,002 votes in all counts.
- Again, student VP Education was uncontested for the third year in a row, with an increase of 1,000 votes cast in total this year.
- RON claimed under one third of votes cast for SU President, with Sean Fearon running uncontested. Sean’s popularity increased by around 1,700 votes this year. Although RON polled higher this year, this would suggest there is unease with either the candidate or an uncontested election for Presidency.
- RON’s popularity increased dramatically this year overall.
- The Rag Charity elections were declared null on the second day of voting, with a mistake declared on the QOL shortlist selection. The election have been planned to take place on another unconfirmed date.